Skip to main content

Roundhouse Bloggers' Project

On Saturday morning, I arrived at the Roundhouse, Camden, with no idea of what to expect. The weekend before, I had applied to take part in the Roundhouse Bloggers' Project, which is a course aimed at 16-25 year olds, who want to get into the competitive media industry. The workshop immediately appealed to me as an aspiring journalist, so I sent my application form, along with one blog post idea for the Roundhouse website, and hoped for the best.
As I had applied at the last-minute, I didn't have to wait long to find out if I had been successful and, the next day, I was delighted to find out that my idea of a series of 'How to Get Into the... Industry' blog posts had won me a place on the project- yippee!

Photo taken from the Roundhouse website:
www.roundhouse.org.uk
Famous for welcoming some of the world's most famous stars through its doors, the Roundhouse is currently staging the annual iTunes Festival, which music acts such as Kasabian, Kylie and Ed Sheeran are all taking part in. Therefore, when I arrived at the venue, I was pretty nervous, knowing that such people had walked exactly where I was treading!

Once I found where I was going to be spending the day, I realised that there was absolutely no need for me to feel anxious. There were only six other people taking part in the same project as me, all of whom were very friendly and, like me, just wanted to get some tips for kick-starting our ideal careers.
Our tutors for the day were Emma Warren and Monique Todd, both journalists who have worked their way up to the top. We started the day by having an insight into the Roundhouse blog- which will hopefully soon feature some of my own work!- and were then taught about the different types of articles that can be written. Following this, we had a Twitter inspection.
Yep, our two tutors came and looked at our accounts, helping us set them up to be the most professional and captivating they could be. This was really helpful as social media is such a crucial way of attracting an audience to your work nowadays, so I instantly began to feel more confident about putting myself out there.

After an hour of adjusting our profiles, it was time for lunch.
As the Roundhouse is situated just a few minutes' walk away from Camden Market, my new journalism pals and I set off to get ourselves a delicious meal from one of the many stalls at the food section of the site. Whilst the others decided on curry and pizza, I, on the other hand, went for something a little sweeter- a Nutella crepe, of course!
It was divine.

Having finished our food, we headed back to the studios to continue the project. As a group, we discussed how we could build on the ideas we had each applied with. The Roundhouse had given us three main topics they wanted us to write about: 'Orfeo', the first ever opera to be staged at the venue next January; Fun Palace, an event where scientists, set designers and the public will be working to build a sculpture of a brain, and Amazing Spaces- basically anything about the Roundhouse building. We all worked together to come up with possible blog post subjects, using the ideas we had each already come up with. After whittling our extensive list of articles down to just 12, it was then time to get into small groups and start questioning members of the public on their experiences of the iTunes Festival.

This activity was much harder than I had imagined. Normally I find it easy to keep a conversation going with someone I don't know well but, when you've got headphones on, a dictaphone in your right hand and a camera in your left, it is much, much harder! At first, I found the pressure of recording whilst practically interviewing someone quite hard to deal with but, within a short space of time, I had gotten the hang of it. Whilst I wouldn't say that I am now an interviewing professional, I would definitely say that it is something I would feel more comfortable doing than before the course.

And that was it, my first day as part of the Roundhouse Bloggers' Project was over. Before leaving the building to allow the iTunes Festival to sort things out for Rudimental who were playing that evening, Emma and Monique distributed the article subjects between the seven of us. Over the course of the next few weeks, I will be writing up these posts and then I will soon also be return to the studios to start the second stage of my course. Overall, my first day as a Roundhouse Blogger was truly inspirational, and I cannot wait to continue! Thank you so much to our lovely journalism tutors for the day, Emma and Monique, who made it so interesting and useful.

Florrie x

For more information on the Roundhouse, or to find out more about their Young Creatives initiative, visit www.roundhouse,org.uk 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: 'The Band' at the Lyceum Theatre, Sheffield

Full of charm, wit and heartwrenching emotion, the Take That musical is simply divine. The musical follows the lives of a group of 16-year-old schoolgirls who have bonded over their adoration for 'the band'. The girls’ dream becomes reality when they have the opportunity to see the boy band live but tragedy strikes and their friendship breaks apart. 25 years on, a competition win could rekindle the girls once more. Featuring all the Take That classics from ‘Never Forget’ to ‘Rule the World’, this is a musical no 90s fan can miss. www.thebandmusical.com 'The Band' are made up of the five winners from BBC One's Let It Shine AJ Bentley, Nick Carsberg, Curtis T Johns, Yazdan Qafouri and Sario Solomon who make up pop group Five to Five. The sublime quintet is on stage for the majority of the production, touchingly representing the fact that, deep down, the boys are there wherever the girls go. Each performer offers vocals just as strong as the other a

Interview with ‘Sick’ scriptwriter and performer Shey Hargreaves

From hunting down a patient’s lost teeth to witnessing someone turn down potentially life-saving treatment, scriptwriter Shey Hargeaves’ experience of working for the NHS was eye-opening to say the least. Reflecting on her time in a hospital, Shey shares tales of resilience and humour in her hour-long show Sick . “It’s scary!” Shey exclaims as I ask what it has been like leading a one-woman show for the first time. “You're totally on your own out there. But, it's quite nice because you're in control. That means you can play off the audience more. I think that makes for quite a warm, responsive kind of show.” The stories behind Sick are authentic accounts from the four-year period Shey spent within the NHS. Having completed a Master’s in Scriptwriting at the University of East Anglia, Shey was looking to find work when she came across a receptionist position for an Emergency Medical Assessment Unit in 2013. “If I had to be in a reasonably low-paid job and pay t

Review: The Rocky Horror Show at the Lyceum Theatre, Sheffield

I wonder if writer Richard O’Brien expected The Rocky Horror Show to enthral audiences of hundreds more than 45 years after it debuted at the tiny Royal Court in London. Exploring themes of gender identity and sexuality in a tribute to mid-20 th century science fiction, O’Brien’s outrageous and energetic Rocky Horror Show is an immense amount of fun. The show follows the eye-opening encounters of newly engaged couple Brad and Janet, who unintentionally become the guests of a death-defying extravaganza one stormy night. Stephen Webb marvels as scientist Frank-N-Furter, commanding the stage of the tour’s remarkable cast throughout his confident portrayal of the wild Transylvanian transvestite. Philip Franks excels as The Narrator, modernising the 1973 musical with a remark on Brexit proceedings and responding with sharp wit to engagement from the audience, and former Strictly Come Dancing professional Joanne Clifton puts on an equally compelling performance as Janet. Clifton’s