Skip to main content

Here Lies Love, National Theatre- Review

It was the Friday evening of one of the most stressful weeks I've had in months. There had to be the perfect occasion to celebrate the week coming to an end. And indeed there was.
Last Friday, I took a trip up to the brand-spanking new Dorfman Theatre on London's South Bank to new immersive theatrical pieces, Here Lies Love, new to the UK after its triumphant run on Broadway. Produced by legends Fatboy Slim and David Byrne, when I had first read about the piece, I was immediately intrigued and snapped up some tickets. The piece reflects on previous events in the life of the former First Lady of the Philippines, Imelda Markos, from her destitute childhood to life as the First Lady, and then to her ultimate farewell to life in politics.

Although I knew to expect to feel involved in the piece, admittedly, I perhaps didn't quite prepare myself for the extent I was to be 'immersed'. My first thought when I walked into the theatre: what on earth have I put myself up for?! The entire theatre was set up as a nightclub, with booming music and strobe lights, and the ushers were wearing the funkiest pink boiler suits you've ever seen. 
Picture owned by herelieslove.com
Before the musical started, the house DJ got the crowd going, and the audience were soon whooping like never before. We then found out that the stage actually moves throughout the performance, so we had a quick try of 'how to walk around a moving stage safely' whilst somehow managing to continue to groove.
Then the show began.

And what a show it was. 

As to be expected, the music was consistently memorable, moving and yet ridiculously catchy, with an exemplary combination of both dance and soulful music. Natalie Mendoza took on the vocally-demanding lead role of Imelda Markos, and utterly excelled at it. The male vocals too were strong, with Mark Bautista performing impressively as Ferdinand Markos himself. Every single cast member sung and dance remarkably well, and we, the audience, just couldn't resist in joining in.
Possibly the most memorable thing about the performance, however, was the staging of it. From the wacky outfits to the extraordinary variation in lighting, the theatre was an aesthetically stunning commodity of colour. In the standing area of the Dorfman, the audience are weaved through by the cast, and, at times, literally moved around. Not to give too much away, but let's just say I was closer to a stage than I ever had been on that night...

Perhaps the most euphoric 90 minutes of my life, Here Lies Love was everything a show involving Fatboy Slim and David Byrne could be and much, much more.
So, for my rating, I give Here Lies Love a thoroughly deserving...

  ★★★★★

Playing until 8th January, if the show sounds like your kind of thing, find out more about it and of how to get tickets here: http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/here-lies-love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interrail 2016: ZAGREB

What a wet and dreary 24 hours in Zagreb. We arrived before noon, giving us most of the day to see Croatia's capital city. However, as the train from Ljubljana progressed, it became more and more apparent that we wouldn't be seeing the sunny, humid weather that Croatia is known for in Zagreb. Instead, heavy downfalls of rain plummeted across the city, meaning the streets were practically empty of people except for hardcore tourists making the most of their visit.  Another issue arose when I learnt that my bank was denying me from getting money out. I had little euros left and needed to pay for our first hostel in Croatia. Panicking, we went to the hostel anyway and thankfully found out that we could pay for our night's accommodation in euros. Thank you, Hostel Chic! After hanging our sodden clothes on the end of our beds, we set out into the centre dressed in every waterproof covering possible. Before long, we caved from the rain for a bit and headed into the f...

Interrail 2016: BUDAPEST

Despite arriving relatively early in Budapest, the overbearing heat that suddenly hit us prevented any fast movement. Of the cities we have been to so far, Budapest has the most unique culture, with its abundant numbers of markets and quite religious population (Budapest is home to the most populous Christian community in Central Europe and has the largest Calvinist population on Earth). Once we had acclimatised (slightly), we set out for lunch. Similarly to Vienna, everywhere was just... Shut. Perhaps as a result of its religious background, many of the shops in Budapest are closed on Sundays or, if not completely shut, chances are that  the store will close at 2pm. The people of Budapest must be the most forward of thinkers; no 11pm nip to Budgens on a Sunday for lunch for the following day. That meant that it was time for another cafe visit, which had water vapour fans to cool its visitors. Eventually, we began to see the sights of Budapest. Beginni...

Is this real life- or is this just fantasy?

Admittedly, I have never considered myself a fantasy type of person. Except for my slight obsession with Harry Potter, little of the literature I read, the films I watch and the TV series I follow falls under the fantasy genre.   Until recently, that is.   One month ago, I finally got round to watching 'The Lord of the Rings'. It took fifteen years after the first movie came out for me even to consider watching it. It's long. It's got elves in it. Why would I want to watch it?  Now, I know that there are many reasons why I would want to watch it. Full to the brim with action, the scenery is breathtaking, the antagonists are perfectly abhorrent and Orlando Bloom makes one lovable elf. Frankly, it's got everything I could wish for in a movie- with the addition of Gollum and a couple-thousand Orcs. I liked the first movie so much that, within the week, I'd watched all 10 hours of the trilogy. 'Two Towers' is now in my top 10 all-time favourite films. ...