Skip to main content

Top 5 Places to Visit in London This Christmas

With less than a week until Christmas, thousands of people across the people are rushing frantically about, grabbing anything in sight that could possibly pass as a viable present to give someone. I am one of these many thousands of people.
I've bought one present so far. And I can't even remember what it is (to be fair, I did buy it over two months ago for my brother but that is literally all I can remember, so I have nothing to go by when searching for it. His next Birthday present instead, perhaps?).
So, if you're like me and are finally heading out to do that dreaded Christmas shopping in London, why not visit some of my top 5 places to go at Christmas in London?

1. Winter Wonderland, Hyde Park 
Photo from www.royalparks.org.uk
I went to this place for my Birthday (Birth-mas is a thing, you know) and you truly cannot visit a Christmas-ier place. With adorable little German market stalls selling everything from waffles to woolly socks, festive funfair rides and a spectacular ice rink (which seems to be booked-up before the beginning of December every year, by the way) surrounded by over 100,000 lights, Winter Wonderland is definitely the place to be if you're yet to feel that it's the season to be jolly. I recommend visiting earlier on in the day as I went at about 6:30pm and had to queue for 40 minutes to get in.
www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com; until 4th Jan 2015

2. Oxford and Regent Street
I can't remember the last year that I didn't visit these two famous streets to check out the Christmas lights. Teamed up with a hardcore shopping session, this is probably the most productive place to be if you're lacking inspiration for those presents. Even if I did outgrow Hamleys about 10 years ago, this and a trip to Abercrombie & Fitch (on Burlington Gardens, off Regents Street) never fail to keep me entertained.
Lights until 6th Jan 2015

3. Harrods, Brompton Road
Photo from www.starsandroses.co.uk
Another place I love going to at Christmas is London's most luxurious shop, Harrods. Yes, pretty much everything is well out of my price range but the price on the labels of the items there never fail to amuse me (a £35,000 purse, anyone?) and the lights outside the shop are a stunning sight. I highly suggest taking a trip to the Ice Cream Parlour here as the ice creams served are incredible. Be aware that we're talking Harrods ice creams here, not just normal ice creams, so the average ice cream is about £12.
www.harrods.com

4. South Bank
If Winter Wonderland seems a hassle to get to, South Bank also has many German market stalls (these stalls are arguably even more adorable than Winter Wonderland's!) and an ice rink where you can 'Eyeskate'- yup, it's directly behind the magnificent London Eye. South Bank is one of my favourite places to go at any time of the year but, at Christmas, it's just a little bit more special.
www.southbanklondon.com; Eyeskate until 1st Jan 2015

5. The Paddington Trail
Photo from www.luluguinness.com
This year, to celebrate the release of 'Paddington', 50 different statues of everyone's favourite bear have been placed across London for you to find. Each one has been designed by a celebrity, including Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock Bear), Boris Johnson (The Bear of London) and David Beckham (Golden Paws). My personal favourite is Jonathan Ross's Futuristic Robot Bear... Why not do the trail and choose your favourite bear?
www.visitlondon.com/paddington; until 30th December




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interrail 2016: ZAGREB

What a wet and dreary 24 hours in Zagreb. We arrived before noon, giving us most of the day to see Croatia's capital city. However, as the train from Ljubljana progressed, it became more and more apparent that we wouldn't be seeing the sunny, humid weather that Croatia is known for in Zagreb. Instead, heavy downfalls of rain plummeted across the city, meaning the streets were practically empty of people except for hardcore tourists making the most of their visit.  Another issue arose when I learnt that my bank was denying me from getting money out. I had little euros left and needed to pay for our first hostel in Croatia. Panicking, we went to the hostel anyway and thankfully found out that we could pay for our night's accommodation in euros. Thank you, Hostel Chic! After hanging our sodden clothes on the end of our beds, we set out into the centre dressed in every waterproof covering possible. Before long, we caved from the rain for a bit and headed into the f...

Interrail 2016: BUDAPEST

Despite arriving relatively early in Budapest, the overbearing heat that suddenly hit us prevented any fast movement. Of the cities we have been to so far, Budapest has the most unique culture, with its abundant numbers of markets and quite religious population (Budapest is home to the most populous Christian community in Central Europe and has the largest Calvinist population on Earth). Once we had acclimatised (slightly), we set out for lunch. Similarly to Vienna, everywhere was just... Shut. Perhaps as a result of its religious background, many of the shops in Budapest are closed on Sundays or, if not completely shut, chances are that  the store will close at 2pm. The people of Budapest must be the most forward of thinkers; no 11pm nip to Budgens on a Sunday for lunch for the following day. That meant that it was time for another cafe visit, which had water vapour fans to cool its visitors. Eventually, we began to see the sights of Budapest. Beginni...

Interrail 2016: PRAGUE

So far our most humid location, Prague proved to be as close to a hot day at Disneyland Paris as it comes. We arrived at our hostel, dropped our bags off and quickly headed into the centre as, once again, we only really had a day and a half to spare. Prior to our arrival, I hadn't heard much about the Czech Republic's capital city but now I can confirm that it deserves much more hype than it receives.  Once we had wandered about the high streets, up to Wenceslas Square, we came across the most fairytale of markets, selling Russian Nesting Dolls and pins. This was situated right next to the renowned Astronomical Clock, which, on the hour, presents a short display of the Seven Deadly Sins to a usually huge crowd. Beside this is Old Town Square, which was simply beautiful, with colourful buildings of intricate architecture. Afterwards, we walked to arguably the central focal point of Prague- Charles Bridge. This crosses Prague's large river and connects the castle ...