Skip to main content

12 Problems Only People with Glasses Will Understand

17th May 2008. The day my dreads became reality:
I got my first pair of glasses.
I'd seen it coming for a few months prior to it, but there was still a part of me clutching on to the idea that perhaps my eyesight was just blurry because of the side effects of some peculiar, undiagnosed illness I'd had. Yeah, I was pretty desperate.
However, just because the optician tells you to start wearing glasses, that doesn't mean you to have to, right? ...Wrong, but that's what I did anyway, up until late 2012, when it got to the stage where I felt like my grades were being affected by my near-sightedness. 
Don't get me wrong- I don't have anything against glasses-wearers; in fact, I genuinely do believe glasses can look sublime. It's just the hassle of wearing them that frustrates me to this very day.

  1. If you forget your glasses, you're completely, and utterly, stuck. Every activity you attempt to complete at work that day becomes 19842 times more difficult, and you begin to contemplate whether pulling a tonne of bricks along would be easier.
  2. Sunglasses or glasses? Glasses or sunglasses? Or, do you double up and wear sunglasses AND glasses? 
  3. Sport becomes an even greater hassle. Wear your glasses, and risk being smashed in the face with basketball, butchering the bridge of your nose, or don't your glasses, and run around with your hockey stick ready to strike the ball but, um, not being able to find it.
  4. The number of times you've greeted a stranger down the street after mistaking them for one of your friends equals the number of times you've completely blanked an actual friend as you didn't see them. So, so awkward. 
  5. Those weekly trips to the opticians to adjust/change/update your glasses become a tad bit tedious. You know, just a little...
  6. Swimming. Wear your glasses in the pool and the lenses steam up, completely destroying the purpose of them. Don't wear them and you crash. It's a win-win situation, right...
  7. Foundation seems to draw attention to your flaws instead of concealing them as the glasses seem to cause an avalanche of the liquid to slide down from the bridge of your nose. Too hot, I tell you.
  8. If you only wear glasses on a part-time basis, every single time you put your specs on, someone exclaims their surprise that you wear glasses and everyone who heard them turns and stares, like you're some supernatural species.
  9. And, following on from point 8, every time you don't wear them, the same people put their hands up and ask how many fingers their holding up. Believe or not, people, you can see past 5cm in front of your face...
  10. Roller coasters.
  11. Close contact with anyone has to be dealt with caution as otherwise you know you're going to pull out of it with one lens over your eyebrow and one resting, slanted, on your cheek. Smooth.
  12. Whenever discussing who is most like which character in Harry Potter, you never fail to end up with the protagonist, purely down to the fact you wear a piece of plastic on your face. 
Any other things about glasses that bother you? Feel free to moan!
Florrie x
http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/finally-watching-hp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interrail 2016: ZAGREB

What a wet and dreary 24 hours in Zagreb. We arrived before noon, giving us most of the day to see Croatia's capital city. However, as the train from Ljubljana progressed, it became more and more apparent that we wouldn't be seeing the sunny, humid weather that Croatia is known for in Zagreb. Instead, heavy downfalls of rain plummeted across the city, meaning the streets were practically empty of people except for hardcore tourists making the most of their visit.  Another issue arose when I learnt that my bank was denying me from getting money out. I had little euros left and needed to pay for our first hostel in Croatia. Panicking, we went to the hostel anyway and thankfully found out that we could pay for our night's accommodation in euros. Thank you, Hostel Chic! After hanging our sodden clothes on the end of our beds, we set out into the centre dressed in every waterproof covering possible. Before long, we caved from the rain for a bit and headed into the f...

Interrail 2016: BUDAPEST

Despite arriving relatively early in Budapest, the overbearing heat that suddenly hit us prevented any fast movement. Of the cities we have been to so far, Budapest has the most unique culture, with its abundant numbers of markets and quite religious population (Budapest is home to the most populous Christian community in Central Europe and has the largest Calvinist population on Earth). Once we had acclimatised (slightly), we set out for lunch. Similarly to Vienna, everywhere was just... Shut. Perhaps as a result of its religious background, many of the shops in Budapest are closed on Sundays or, if not completely shut, chances are that  the store will close at 2pm. The people of Budapest must be the most forward of thinkers; no 11pm nip to Budgens on a Sunday for lunch for the following day. That meant that it was time for another cafe visit, which had water vapour fans to cool its visitors. Eventually, we began to see the sights of Budapest. Beginni...

Is this real life- or is this just fantasy?

Admittedly, I have never considered myself a fantasy type of person. Except for my slight obsession with Harry Potter, little of the literature I read, the films I watch and the TV series I follow falls under the fantasy genre.   Until recently, that is.   One month ago, I finally got round to watching 'The Lord of the Rings'. It took fifteen years after the first movie came out for me even to consider watching it. It's long. It's got elves in it. Why would I want to watch it?  Now, I know that there are many reasons why I would want to watch it. Full to the brim with action, the scenery is breathtaking, the antagonists are perfectly abhorrent and Orlando Bloom makes one lovable elf. Frankly, it's got everything I could wish for in a movie- with the addition of Gollum and a couple-thousand Orcs. I liked the first movie so much that, within the week, I'd watched all 10 hours of the trilogy. 'Two Towers' is now in my top 10 all-time favourite films. ...