Skip to main content

12 Problems Only People with Glasses Will Understand

17th May 2008. The day my dreads became reality:
I got my first pair of glasses.
I'd seen it coming for a few months prior to it, but there was still a part of me clutching on to the idea that perhaps my eyesight was just blurry because of the side effects of some peculiar, undiagnosed illness I'd had. Yeah, I was pretty desperate.
However, just because the optician tells you to start wearing glasses, that doesn't mean you to have to, right? ...Wrong, but that's what I did anyway, up until late 2012, when it got to the stage where I felt like my grades were being affected by my near-sightedness. 
Don't get me wrong- I don't have anything against glasses-wearers; in fact, I genuinely do believe glasses can look sublime. It's just the hassle of wearing them that frustrates me to this very day.

  1. If you forget your glasses, you're completely, and utterly, stuck. Every activity you attempt to complete at work that day becomes 19842 times more difficult, and you begin to contemplate whether pulling a tonne of bricks along would be easier.
  2. Sunglasses or glasses? Glasses or sunglasses? Or, do you double up and wear sunglasses AND glasses? 
  3. Sport becomes an even greater hassle. Wear your glasses, and risk being smashed in the face with basketball, butchering the bridge of your nose, or don't your glasses, and run around with your hockey stick ready to strike the ball but, um, not being able to find it.
  4. The number of times you've greeted a stranger down the street after mistaking them for one of your friends equals the number of times you've completely blanked an actual friend as you didn't see them. So, so awkward. 
  5. Those weekly trips to the opticians to adjust/change/update your glasses become a tad bit tedious. You know, just a little...
  6. Swimming. Wear your glasses in the pool and the lenses steam up, completely destroying the purpose of them. Don't wear them and you crash. It's a win-win situation, right...
  7. Foundation seems to draw attention to your flaws instead of concealing them as the glasses seem to cause an avalanche of the liquid to slide down from the bridge of your nose. Too hot, I tell you.
  8. If you only wear glasses on a part-time basis, every single time you put your specs on, someone exclaims their surprise that you wear glasses and everyone who heard them turns and stares, like you're some supernatural species.
  9. And, following on from point 8, every time you don't wear them, the same people put their hands up and ask how many fingers their holding up. Believe or not, people, you can see past 5cm in front of your face...
  10. Roller coasters.
  11. Close contact with anyone has to be dealt with caution as otherwise you know you're going to pull out of it with one lens over your eyebrow and one resting, slanted, on your cheek. Smooth.
  12. Whenever discussing who is most like which character in Harry Potter, you never fail to end up with the protagonist, purely down to the fact you wear a piece of plastic on your face. 
Any other things about glasses that bother you? Feel free to moan!
Florrie x
http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/finally-watching-hp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: 'The Band' at the Lyceum Theatre, Sheffield

Full of charm, wit and heartwrenching emotion, the Take That musical is simply divine. The musical follows the lives of a group of 16-year-old schoolgirls who have bonded over their adoration for 'the band'. The girls’ dream becomes reality when they have the opportunity to see the boy band live but tragedy strikes and their friendship breaks apart. 25 years on, a competition win could rekindle the girls once more. Featuring all the Take That classics from ‘Never Forget’ to ‘Rule the World’, this is a musical no 90s fan can miss. www.thebandmusical.com 'The Band' are made up of the five winners from BBC One's Let It Shine AJ Bentley, Nick Carsberg, Curtis T Johns, Yazdan Qafouri and Sario Solomon who make up pop group Five to Five. The sublime quintet is on stage for the majority of the production, touchingly representing the fact that, deep down, the boys are there wherever the girls go. Each performer offers vocals just as strong as the other a

Interview with ‘Sick’ scriptwriter and performer Shey Hargreaves

From hunting down a patient’s lost teeth to witnessing someone turn down potentially life-saving treatment, scriptwriter Shey Hargeaves’ experience of working for the NHS was eye-opening to say the least. Reflecting on her time in a hospital, Shey shares tales of resilience and humour in her hour-long show Sick . “It’s scary!” Shey exclaims as I ask what it has been like leading a one-woman show for the first time. “You're totally on your own out there. But, it's quite nice because you're in control. That means you can play off the audience more. I think that makes for quite a warm, responsive kind of show.” The stories behind Sick are authentic accounts from the four-year period Shey spent within the NHS. Having completed a Master’s in Scriptwriting at the University of East Anglia, Shey was looking to find work when she came across a receptionist position for an Emergency Medical Assessment Unit in 2013. “If I had to be in a reasonably low-paid job and pay t

Happy New Year!

Who has set themselves a New Year's resolution or have something you wish to do this year?  In the past, I have never been too good at setting myself a task for the year but this year I am determined to change this. As I don't think I have ever completed a resolution before, I have decided that, by writing what I wish to achieve by 2016 down here, open for the 7 billion+ habitants on this earth to see, I will feel more inclined to complete them. So, here are 10 things I would like to have accomplished by this very day next year... 1. Get an application for my first choice university course accepted 2. Go to a music festival 3. Pass my driving test 4.  Know all the French tenses taught at AS Level off by heart 5. Learn how to play a Taylor Swift song on the ukulele 6. Stay overnight in a city in the UK that I have never before been to 7.  Go to a nightclub (this can only be completed after 7th December 2015, obviously...) 8. Do at least 1 week's work